The mission of Space Center Houston is to inspire all generations through the wonders of space exploration. We aspire to be the world’s leading science and space exploration learning center. Owned and operated by the nonprofit Manned Space Flight Education Foundation, we are the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center, a Smithsonian Affiliate, and a Certified Autism Center. The center features more than 400 space artifacts, hands-on interactive educational exhibits, and robust youth programs interpreting the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human spaceflight program.
We are currently seeking a full time Director of Facility Rental and Event Operations responsible for creating, directing and managing all aspects of Space Center Houston facility rental and event operations to provide unique high-quality experiences. Responsibilities and qualifications are shown below:
- Develop the foundation and infrastructure of a start-up events departments to include, but not limited to, pricing structure, rental and event contracts/agreements, floor plans, insurance requirements, policies and procedures, event staffing, budgets, and goals. Facility rental and events will include external and internal clients.
- Establish and create a culture within the event operations department of providing unique high-quality experiences with consistently exceptional service to external as well as internal clients.
- Primary point of contact for all external client events. For most external events, the Director will be present and available to the client during the event.
- Determine and execute appropriate responses to challenges and emergencies during events, handle concerns and perform other duties to promote excellent client relations.
- Manage the events/facility booking calendar and approve all entries. Responsible for working effectively with departments center-wide to prioritize the use of available event space. When making decisions on calendar prioritization, must consider a wide range of variables including revenue, mission related programming and donor/sponsor relations.
- Manage the events operations team to initially include two positions with possible longer-term growth of the department.
- Collaborate with marketing/communications and event sales team to develop an annual marketing strategy including advertising, brochures, digital marketing and other methods marketing initiatives to market rental space and events. Attend industry networking events with members of the sales team.
- Work together with the event sales team to develop sales strategies and annual goals. Assist in achieving sales goals. Assist sales team with onsite visits from prospective clients as needed.
- Work closely and effectively with the food services partner to plan events including menu offerings, pricing, proposals, and all other planning necessary to provide high quality events/services to clients. Must have excellent working relationships and work as a strong team member with the food services partner. Communicate effectively through regular meetings and event planning sessions.
- Work together with food services vendor to organize catering showcases (logistics and vendor coordination).
- Work closely with and communicate effectively with all internal departments who support events including, but not limited to, facilities, guest operations, custodial, security, and systems. Must establish clear methods to communicate support needed and solicit input for staffing, floor planning, set-up, systems/technology, and other event needs. Oversee regular logistics meetings that include other SCH departments.
- Establish and communicate policies and procedures to internal department contacts who request the use of space and/or plan events.
- Research, recommend and implement software technology to support calendar planning, event project management, increase sales/services and other administrative processes to support facility rental and event operations. Prepare and distribute all event planner communications for all external events.
- Compile estimated cost models, track budget statistics and prepare management reports.
- Responsible for managing the purchase of appropriate office and production supplies inventory.
- Maintain departmental records and files, including purchasing, invoices, and financial reports.
- Responsible for maintaining client files in the event database (ensuring that files are complete with contracts, memos, floorplans, menus, insurance documentation, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 7+years of experience managing events with a minimum of 2+ years of demonstrated management level experience supervising direct reports in an events environment. Previous experience in the non-profit sector preferred.
- A strong working knowledge of rental agreements/contracts with previous experience developing event operations policies and processes. Knowledge and experience to independently manage all facets of a start-up events operations department with limited supervision.
- A strong attention to detail with the creativity to produce unique event experiences.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite with previous experience working with event planning software. Must have the aptitude to research and recommend new software products to support event operations.
- Possess superior interpersonal, verbal, and written skills in order to influence, guide and motivate stakeholders internally and externally with tact, reasoning, and sensitivity. Must be an excellent public speaker with experience presenting to small and large groups.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to manage a team and build a culture of providing unique high-quality experiences with consistently exceptional service to external as well as internal clients. Ability to coach and mentor others.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and identify creative solutions to problems and issues before and as they arise. Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Expertise in developing relationships, influencing others, negotiating, and resolving conflict with a high level of professionalism and integrity.
- Experience in working collaboratively in cross-functional teams and in leading teams by setting direction and focusing on common goals. Able to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, willingness to pitch in to help others, able to handle high-stress situations.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule which may include evenings/nights, weekends and/or holidays.
Space Center Houston is an equal opportunity employer. It has a diverse and inclusive work culture with a creative, fun, and collaborative environment.
Space Center Houston offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (281) 244-2150 or visit our website at http://www.spacecenter.org/careers.