The mission of Space Center Houston is to inspire all generations through the wonders of space exploration. Our vision is to be the world’s leading science and space exploration learning center. Owned and operated by the nonprofit Manned Space Flight Education Foundation, we are the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center. The center features more than 400 space artifacts, hands-on interactive educational exhibits, and robust youth programs interpreting the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human spaceflight program.
We are currently seeking a full-time Event Coordinator to coordinate and execute the logistics of events held at Space Center Houston. The coordinator will centralize all internal event functions; support requests for Space Center Houston services by external clients and streamline communications among many operational teams. Responsibilities and qualifications are shown below:
- Act as on-site coordinator, provide efficient communications among many operational teams, manage the flow of the event and serve as primary contact for internal special events. Act as primary contact for security, facilities, systems, custodial and catering needs to support internal Space Center Houston (SCH) events.
- Manage the SCH events calendar in concert with Sodexo and act as the central contact for booking all SCH internal events held at Space Center Houston. Seek the assistance of the Guest Experience Director as needed to resolve requests for multiple bookings on a specific date.
- Produce floor plans and timelines. Review and communicate event details with affected departments in a timely and accurate manner to ensure superior execution of events.
- Manage and oversee internal special events on the day of as needed. Responsibilities may include directing event set-up, communicating with staff and coordinating with caterer.
- Work closely with in-house caterer on supporting external client events by arranging tours and other special requests by client for Space Center Houston services. Communicate directly with external client as requested to provide Space Center Houston services and coordinate all communications with in-house event catering staff member handling the external event. Manage and oversee the fulfillment of the tours or special services requests from start to completion on the day of the event.
- Work closely with in-house caterer and other vendors on purchase orders, estimates and invoicing. Coordinate with guest operations and/or group sales on ticketing transactions as needed.
- Oversee expense budgets, recording data and comparing estimates with final costs.
- Conduct debriefs of events and analyze outcomes. Craft recommendations for continuous improvements in operating efficiencies and quality.
- Other duties as assigned
- A four year college degree in a related field strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience planning and executing events. Demonstrated experience planning large-scale special events (300 attendees or more) strongly preferred.
- Strong customer service skills with the desire and ability to provide high quality events and an outstanding guest experience. The ability to represent Space Center Houston in a professional manner and communicate with tact and discretion.
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously. Demonstrated qualities surrounding attention to detail, follow-through, excellent judgment, flexibility and decision making.
- Must be independent, reliable and able to work with limited supervision.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite. Aptitude to learn new software applications as needed.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and maneuver long distances through the center.
- Must have the availability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays as needed to fulfill job duties.
Space Center Houston is an equal opportunity employer. It has a diverse and inclusive work culture with a creative, fun and collaborative environment.
Space Center Houston offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply: Send resume to email@example.com.
For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (281) 244-2150 or visit our website at http://www.spacecenter.org/careers.