The mission of Space Center Houston is to inspire all generations through the wonders of space exploration. We aspire to be the world’s leading science and space exploration learning center. Owned and operated by the nonprofit Manned Space Flight Education Foundation, we are the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center, a Smithsonian Affiliate and a Certified Autism Center. The center features more than 400 space artifacts, hands-on interactive educational exhibits, and robust youth programs interpreting the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human spaceflight program.
We are currently seeking a full-time Sales Representative responsible for supporting revenue generation for the Business Enterprises department in the area of group and education sales, proactively developing new business for Space Center Houston and maintaining strong relationships with current clients. This position will be primarily focused on group and education sales but will support event sales and corporate partnership efforts as directed. Responsibilities and qualifications are shown below:
- Identify and sell available Space Center Houston inventory, with a focus on group and education sales.
- Generate revenue using all sales methods, including face-to- face, site visits, networking, follow up and upselling opportunities.
- Handle incoming and outgoing calls and orders, insuring timely and accurate order processing and delivery to our internal and external customers.
- Establish and maintain client relationships by making outbound calls to past and prospective clients.
- Meet or exceed weekly touchpoint and sales goals.
- Learn the details of all Space Center Houston programs and offerings that can be sold, and maintain a system with other departments to ensure you always have the most current information and any changes to those programs and offerings.
- Participate and contribute to weekly sales meetings and training sessions.
- Work with related departments to promote and generate sales on all events and programs while improving customer experience.
- Display high level of integrity, positivity, and accountability in all aspects of the job.
- Excellent follow-through and focus on accurately capturing details.
- Input and maintain sales database and Reserve database.
- Document external communication in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database.
- Develop and execute plan for customer follow-up/relationship maintenance.
- Maintain a continuously up-to-date calendar of meetings/activities
- Work closely with the events team and Wolfgang Puck Catering on the sales and delivery of events as needed.
- Perform administrative duties including creating, preparing and mailing of correspondence, developing and maintaining an easily accessible filing system and communicating information about programs and events.
- Sell and process special tours and tickets such as, tours, events, group tickets, educational programs, and other special programs and tickets for groups, education and events as needed.
- Provide weekly reports on sales activity and pipeline, along with any other reporting requested by Director of Events or Director of Business Enterprises.
- Create proposal and contracts and shepherd them through the proper internal approval process.
- Negotiate contracts within organizationally approved parameters and obtain prior approval from Director of Business Enterprises if a need arises to deviate beyond those parameters.
- Work closely with Reservations Supervisor to provide excellent customer service by staying knowledgeable of programs and program changes.
- Collaborate with peers to achieve team sales goals.
- Assist with sales and retention efforts including servicing and up-selling existing and new clients’ accounts.
- Assist at client and other special events with the intent of cultivating new sales and managing customer relationships.
- Attend external industry and networking events, while representing Space Center Houston in a professional manner.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- A minimum of two years of work experience in a similar or related position.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Proven track record of meeting and/or exceeding sales goals.
- Ability and desire to make cold calls and conduct face-to-face appointments.
- Ability to represent the company in a professional manner.
- Must be coachable and willing to learn, while bringing a consistent positive attitude.
- A desire to help set the standard for client experience and retention.
- Ability to assess client requirements and deliver, ensuring client satisfaction.
- Desire for a career in sales.
- A self-starter with a willingness to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication, customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact comfortably and effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Ability to competently execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to excel in fast-paced environment and respond as needed to unexpected changes professionally and courteously.
- Proactive mindset and able to remain calm under pressure to anticipate and support changes in our business.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Gateway software, CRM experience preferred.
- Must be available to work a flexible work schedule including 8AM-5PM Monday-Friday and some evenings, Saturdays, and holidays as needed.
- Ability and willingness to make calls and/or attend meetings throughout the greater Houston area. Availability for occasional overnight travel as needed.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
Space Center Houston is an equal opportunity employer. It has a diverse and inclusive work culture with a creative, fun and collaborative environment.
Space Center Houston offers a competitive salary and benefits package. This position offers a base salary plus an incentive plan based on sales.
To apply: Upload resume and cover letter online at http://www.spacecenter.org/careers. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (281) 244-2150 or visit our website at http://www.spacecenter.org/careers.